We are happy to have free initial consultations by phone to accommodate the health risk and to process forms and information online.
9.7Susan M. Hais

Enforcement Proceedings

legal proceedingsWhen a divorce is concluded and the Judgment is signed and entered by the judge, the parties are expected to follow the provisions within that Judgment. Oftentimes, one party will fail to follow the terms provided for in the Judgment and the other party is required to take legal action to enforce the Judgment.

The remedy for a party seeking to enforce a Judgment is to file a motion for contempt against the noncompliant spouse. Contempt proceedings are often used to enforce maintenance orders, child support orders, orders dividing marital property, parenting plans and money judgments.

In order for a court to find a spouse in contempt, the court must find that the spouse has willfully and contumaciously failed to follow the Judgment. Typically, after contempt proceedings are initiated, the Court will give the noncompliant spouse the opportunity to cure the contempt. For example, a party will be given the opportunity to pay child support that he or she failed to pay. However, if a spouse is found to be in civil contempt, the judge can order that the spouse be incarcerated until the violations of the Judgment have been cured.

As a law firm dedicated solely to the practice of family law, Hais, Hais & Goldberger, P.C. has many years of experience dealing with enforcement proceedings. If you have questions and would like to speak with one of our experienced attorneys, please don’t hesitate to CONTACT US or call at (314) 862-1300.

Pay Your Invoice with LawPay

Contact Our Law Offices

You don't have to go through this alone.
    E-mail addresses of our attorneys are not provided as a means for prospective clients to contact our firm or to submit information to us. By clicking "accept", you acknowledge that we have no obligation to maintain the confidentiality of any information you submit to us unless we have already agreed to represent you or we later agree to do so. Thus, we may represent a party in a matter adverse to you even if the information you submit to us could be used against you in the matter. Confidential or time sensitive information should not be transmitted through the use of this form.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Hais, Hais & Goldberger, P.C.

Justice is a right, not a privilege.
Call us today for a free consultation: (314) 326-4885.